“In 2005, shortly after earning a master's degree in electrical and computer engineering, Sam Cape was looking for work online when he came across a cryptic help wanted ad,” writes Allyson McCabe in their recent NPR article entitled “Like Magic: The Tech That Goes Into Making Money Harder To Fake.”
“At his interview, he was shown something that blew his mind. Cape says it looked like film but was three-dimensional and appeared to be moving. It was, in fact, a prototype of a micro-optics technology he would go on to refine as the director of research and development for Massachusetts-based Crane Currency,” McCabe continues.
According to the NPR piece, “Cape says the technology uses microscopic lenses so tiny you can fit about a dozen of them on the tip of a human hair. Nearly 1 million of these lenses are used to magnify underlying microimages on each of the newest $100 bills. The result is a visual illusion that looks a bit like the old 3-D tilt cards you might find inside a box of Cracker Jack.”
Incredible, right? We could not agree more.
But, it’s not the technology itself that caught our attention.
It’s what it does that drew us in – its purpose.
“This may sound like something out of Harry Potter, but the new technology serves a very practical purpose: the deterrence of counterfeiting. To thwart would-be counterfeiters in the Colonial era, Ben Franklin himself made currency notes cast from the distinctive patterns of real sage leaves. It has become a lot harder to keep up with the bad guys — especially in recent years,” explains McCabe.
We too understand the struggle of staying ahead of the ‘bad guys’ when running an operation.
Cape’s technology is undoubtedly a “magical” deterrent to counterfeiting, though.
Do you agree?
We like technology, and we also love deterrents – especially when it comes to property operations.
Yes, Technology is only one of three aspects of the Proactive Operations methodology. But, it can skyrocket your performance beyond what people alone can achieve.
You know, just like magic.
Technology Is The "Magic" of Your Operation
We usually talk about all three areas of Proactive Operations.
But, for today, we’re going to focus on Technology.
Why? It’s the aspect of your operation that genuinely augments it. It takes performance to the next level.
Consider this for a moment:
- Your strategy changes based on your operational needs. It’s dependent on available resources and how well you understand your strengths and weaknesses.
- Infrastructure is a foundation of how your information flows throughout your operation. It can change based on staffing, but the structure will generally remain constant. The most significant change might be your staff, right? They come and go. That’s expected.
Technology is different.
It takes your current state and immediately enhances everything in real time. It’s the magic in your proactive operation – a superpower for property operations.
Yes, it must be used. But, the positive results are exponential as you put more effort into using it.
A 360 Degree Solution
Tech allows your staff to do things they wouldn’t be able to do without it, and it doesn’t stop working for you either.
It doesn’t need a break, get sick, or go on vacation.
It’s a 24/7 365 solution for your operation – it’s always on.
Consider all you can accomplish with a “magical” solution:
- Manage issues and incidents in real time with confidence, knowing the operation is aware of and in control of everything occurring on the property
- Engage in confidential two-way communication with customers and staff at the speed-of-type – we’re talking milliseconds
- Effortlessly automate and streamline maintenance functions to increase equipment uptime and lifetime
- Schedule, then hold maintenance and security teams accountable during location inspections and guard tours, respectively
- Ensure lost and found items are easy to report and match, maximizing the return-to-owner ratio and customer satisfaction
- Maximize the customers’ experiences with immediate responses to their requests
- Expertly manage important operational tasks for each day and event, so nothing gets missed
- Track staff activities such as lunch breaks and meetings efficiently to keep the operation accountable and running smoothly
- Validate and bulletproof existing credentials and access for customers and vendors
These are only nine examples of what technology can help you achieve. We’re sure you can come up with more, though. (Let us know what you can come up with too.)
Are you ready for the best part? Technology is always evolving. Its power never goes backward, always forward.
Outdated technology is a thing of the past.
In today’s operational environment, the best solutions providers continuously update their platform, so you never get behind the eight ball.
Your technology is always progressing with the demands of your property, customers, and need to deter the bad guys.
We know, it’s magic, right?
Over to You
Having the right technology in place affords your staff the ability to stay ahead of potential threats to your property.
Whether it’s as small as a wet spill or as severe as an active shooter, your team can proactively mitigate these issues and incidents with maximum performance.
Technology doesn’t just supplement your operational initiatives; it skyrockets them. You need it because it’s something your operation can’t be proactive without.
So, are you ready to deploy the magic that deters you from running a reactive operation?