Computerized Maintenance Management System is as complicated to say as it is to choose.
It doesn’t have to be.
That’s the purpose of this article.
We’ll stick with CMMS software and provide you the most straightforward format for selecting your next maintenance application.
Fair enough? Good.
We do feel your pain, though – because we’ve built one.
Whether this is your first time, or you’re ditching your legacy system and moving to a new one, know we’re here to provide you with useable insight into making the right choice.
Before you even begin comparing software providers, there are a couple of points to consider:
- How do you start the process of finding a CMMS?
- What are your objectives?
Maintenance systems can be cumbersome and full of features.
How do you sift through the noise?
How do you find the one which brings value to your property and with the highest potential return on investment?
There’s quite a bit to consider.
You need your CMMS software to be used.
So, start by engaging the team that will be using the solution to help you.
ORGANIZE YOUR CMMS SOFTWARE SELECTION PROCESS AND TEAM
Property managers know the process for selecting CMMS software can be taxing on their peace of mind.
Should you stay, or should you move on?
First, decide why you’re better off moving forward.
Do you remain complacent or start with a fresh, clean slate?
Using disciplined steps will help you to choose your CMMS.
Stay disciplined and make selection decisions that are objective and based on logic and analytics.
To start liking your maintenance software – today – follow this selection process:
- Form a CMMS Selection Team
- Define All Functionality Requisites
- Compare Software Providers with Purpose
- Request a Live Consultative and In-Depth Demonstration of Each System
- Review Top Providers and Make Final Purchase Decision
1. Form a CMMS Selection Team
We recommend you enlist the help of people already familiar with maintenance operations: Your current maintenance team.
They’re the ones that know what they need as an operation with be satisfied with the chosen solution.
2. Define All Functionality Requisites
Deciding on the needs, should haves, wants, and model functionality will give you the much-needed information for rejecting solutions that don’t fit the needs of your property.
You’ll know the non-negotiable functions, the ones you can pass on and the features you might upgrade if the return on investment is conceivable.
3. Compare Software Providers with Purpose
It’s essential to have a purpose when examining potential solution providers.
What’s their history and qualifications?
How well do they know what property managers need to improve their operation and keep all life safety equipment compliant?
Take a hard look at what they have to offer and scrutinize the pros and cons.
4. Request a Live Consultative and In-Depth Demonstration of Each System
A demonstration will be a tell-tale sign of whether they’re a perfect fit for your property.
They’ll fully understand your needs before the demonstration even begins, and they’ll show you how their software will be the solution to accomplish your goals.
More importantly, they’ll help you understand how to reduce activity error rates and downtime of equipment throughout your property.
This is where you’ll want to skip the software reviews and ask the vendor for high-quality referrals in your industry.
5. Review Top Providers and Make Final Purchase Decision
Everyone has a budget but be careful not to base your choice solely on dollars.
Whose solution answered “Yes!” to all the below questions.
Pay close attention to the results, and this goes without saying. Make an objective decision.
9 QUESTIONS FOR EFFECTIVE DECISION MAKING
We’ve given you the process on how to choose your next maintenance solution.
Now, focus on getting a “Yes!” from software providers for the questions we’ve outlined below.
Use them as your litmus test.
They’ll help you decide on the right CMMS to purchase, implement, and enjoy using.
It’s essential to implement and use it, or you’ll be back to square one.
- Does the system give you the ability to create, track, edit, and automatically communicate work orders?
- Can you create web-forms for vendors, technicians, or engineers to submit work orders for approval?
- Can the system provide your team with the ability to create a seamless chain of command for approvals based on specific criteria?
- Can you efficiently manage preventive maintenance in a calendar format? So easy, you can drag and drop to change dates?
- Can you create digital checklists for consistency, efficiency, and control of your assets and maintenance?
- Will the system alert you and your staff when you run out of what you need? Does it make reordering material easy?
- Will the system let you generate one-click reports and charts? Does it let you see the info the way you need?
- Will the system alert you when vendor insurance and warranty expiration are closing in?
- Does the provider offer implementation training and continued support?
The CMMS solution that answers “Yes!” to all these questions is the CMMS to choose!
If you answered “no…” to even one of these questions, keep looking.
OVER TO YOU
Choosing your CMMS is only one step in the process. Implementation is vital to the longevity of your operation. It’s unfortunate, but we don’t see this enough from property managers.
We’re always working on ways to help you improve your implementation process and truly enjoy using your maintenance software.
Don’t feel stuck with the same old system. It’s time to start liking your CMMS software.
Are you ready?
Editor's note: This post was originally published in March 2015 and has been updated for comprehensiveness and freshness.